NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Finally the sun!

Linda

Since the beginning of this year I have a solar filter for my scope. Until today I have only been able to use it once. Otherwise there hasn't been any sun visible during a weekend day. And when I am home from work during a weekday, the sun is long down. But today the weather forecast showed a lot of sun and there was indeed some.

I went observing around 9 o'clock and saw a lot of solar spots, both a not so round circle of big spots, plus numerous smaller and some tiny spots.

After doing some other things outside, like running, I went out again at 14:15. The spots seemed to have changed. Unfortunately I hadn't documented the observation from this morning. I have done an attempt to make a sketch, to give some impression. Keep in mind that I'm not an artist and this is my very first sketch. Actually I made 3 sketches, but I think the proportions ofthe spots on the lower left where best in this picture.

P1020758.JPG

Hey,

Nice one Linda, some fine drawings. We seem to have been quite fortunate this weekend in this part of the UK :happy8: it seems we have gone from famine to a feast over the last few days. The weather has been pants for some time now, lets hope this is a sign of good fortune.

19 minutes ago, Pig said:

Hey,

Nice one Linda, some fine drawings. We seem to have been quite fortunate this weekend in this part of the UK :happy8: it seems we have gone from famine to a feast over the last few days. The weather has been pants for some time now, lets hope this is a sign of good fortune.

That is because the moon is growing. We discussed the same thing on the Dutch astronomy forum. Full moon seems to coincide with clear skies. New moon coincides with clouds.

2 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Nice sketching Linda, admire anyone with the patience to do this :)

Dave

I am also impressed by nice astro-sketches. My drawing were done very quickly. I haven't got a tracking system, so I need to manually follow the subject all the time. So it was a quick look and skeching a few spots, and then a next quick look and sketching more.

But I found it more interesting to start with sun spots than with deep sky. At the sun, there is only one place to look at and there is no need to hurry up to look at the next object. ;-) The other thing is that I wanted to find out whether the spots changed quickly. So on the next sunny day, I will try to make several sketches over the day. Living in Norway with very light summer nights to come, I might as well take out the scope for the sun.

Archived