Baader BBHS Silver Diagonal

BillP

Always liked the views the Vernonscope silver diagonal gave when I borrowed those from friends.  So when I heard Baader was making a more affordable one could not resist to try it out...and it gave me an unexpected surprise when planetary viewing (which I always like when that happens).

Baader BBHS Silver Diagonal v2-13-2016.pdf

Nice review, thanks Bill. I've had my eye on one of these for a little while so it's good to see a review on it. Might well be tempted!

Is there likely to be a benefit over the Zeiss prism in short focal length refractors in terms of reduced/no CA which I believe can affect the prisms?

7 hours ago, Stu said:

Is there likely to be a benefit over the Zeiss prism in short focal length refractors in terms of reduced/no CA which I believe can affect the prisms?

Prisms do affect the color crossings to an extent.  However, exactly how much or if it will be something noticeable to the eye is another question and will be dependent on the exact optical prescription of the main objective (refractor).  The fastest Apo I have is f/6.25 and I cannot induce CA out of it even at 50x/inch when using my 1.25" T2 prism.  But with the larger 2" prism I can just get the slightest amount of CA if I look for it.  So my personal rule of thumb is to not be concerned about it in f/6 and longer.  But of course this Silver mirror will have no such issues so in that respect an excellent alternative to a 2" Prism as it turned out it was either right on its heels (scatter, faintest extent of DSO), in performance or slightly better (color, faintest stars).

Thanks Bill. Yes I agree that the T2 Zeiss does not show any CA at all, it was the 2" I was thinking of. So it sounds like a good alternative to the 2", worth a try perhaps if using in a faster scope.

Archived