Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A couple of Barlow questions

Hope someone can help. 

Q1: on a scale of 1-10 how good is the standard x2 Barlow that comes with entry level Skywatcher scopes?

Q2: is it better to buy a 8mm eyepiece rather than 'Barlow' a 16mm one and if so is there much difference in quality ?

Haven't used the skywatcher Barlow ( deluxe 2x version? ) but most reports suggest they are ok.

I have the baader Barlow and optically it is very good you really wouldn't notice it - optically.

However I really don't like barlows all that faffing about and they seem awkward to me at the eyepiece.

Many others will disagree tho and that's the thing with barlows some like em some don't , but those from reputable manufacturers optically will be sound.

With only one exception that I know of - the more glass you put in the light train, the lesser quality views you get. So an 8mm single eyepiece of the same quality and make, will always be better than a 16mm with barlow. But with the 16mm you get two choices of magnification doubling the number of lenses in your set. So it's also a bit of a trade off and you have to make a decision on what's acceptable to you.

The exception being the Televue Powermates - they just seem to get out of the way and just do the job of magnifying. But of course - they are expensive. Hth :)

Archived