SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Focuser for my newtonian

Hi Again Everyone,

I have been attempting to laser collimate my Orion Optics UK Europa 200 Newtonian.

So (apologies for the detail):

• Insert collimator, turn on.
  • Tweak secondary mirror to get laser point to the centre of the main mirror (I put a small paper holepunch strengthener thing there to aim at).
  • Tweak primary mirror to centre the laser return.

I saw this on YouTube and it was fairly easy process.

However....

My focuser on the Europa has a single silver holding screw.  It's a 1.25" focuser.  If I rotated the collimator the laser describes a circle on the primary and there would be a teensy amount of play while it was in the focuser.  I'm now wondering if it should have a second screw (there's a hole) to fix the collimator and eyepieces from two sides or if I should consider a new focuser.  If so are they easy to fit?  The one I have is unnamed, I'll attempt to attach an image.

Thanks!

Adam

focuser.PNG

If the laser is making a circle then the collimator itself may need collimating there should be three screws around the tube possibly under a rubber bung.You will need a v-block or similar to rest it in and rotate it so the beam hits a target about 10ft away and adjust as necessary also to take up slop in the focuser I used one layer of masking tape around the collimator problem solved.

9 minutes ago, triton1 said:

If the laser is making a circle then the collimator itself may need collimating there should be three screws around the tube possibly under a rubber bung.You will need a v-block or similar to rest it in and rotate it so the beam hits a target about 10ft away and adjust as necessary also to take up slop in the focuser I used one layer of masking tape around the collimator problem solved.

Am with you on that Triton1....although mine was spot on over 20m i did make a rig to allow it to rotate in case i had to align it, but its relatively easy procedure. Also, like on my Skywatcher SD 150p the 1.25" focuser is a tad "budget" and there is plenty of play within the draw tube itself so i suggest shimming the collimator with some thin plastic or even electrical tape to help centralization ? I have just changed my focuser because of this.

Good luck.

38 minutes ago, singlespeeder said:

Thanks for that!  I have just seen an interesting article on how to build a deluxe model laser collimator collimator here so will get some nails and a block of wood out!

In for a penny in for a pound, blow the expense and make that "deluxe" version singlespeeder lol here is mine although not as deluxe as yours will be ;)

Primitive but does the job.

20160208_161301.jpg

Personally for me I feel people can get hung up and a tad a.n.a.l. about collimation. If my laser is true over 20m then thats good enough for me in my 750mm fl newt.. Certainly not worth the extra checking of another device. I have a cap with a hole and my laser and that's as good as I need for sure.

16 hours ago, LeeRich said:

Personally for me I feel people can get hung up and a tad a.n.a.l. about collimation. If my laser is true over 20m then thats good enough for me in my 750mm fl newt.. Certainly not worth the extra checking of another device. I have a cap with a hole and my laser and that's as good as I need for sure.

I am with you on this, my laser is collimated spot on and although I do have a Cheshire collimator it is rarely used. On the occasions I have used it, all it has done is verify that the laser got it spot on so its getting to be a white elephant in my ep BOX.

Archived