SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Nexstar 6SE - Focus?

Stian

Hi,

Attached photo shows Aldebaran taken with a Nexstar 6SE, Focal reducer (6.3) and a Canon 100d.

Is the effect seen in the photo related to focus or some other known issue that I could get rid of?

br

Stian

Nexstar6SE_Aldebaran.jpg

That looks like a monster internal reflection. The stars do seem slightly out of focus and there is some trailing, but I have a feeling that the main issue is that there is some tilt in your imaging setup, so the light is hitting the sensor at an angle, and this has exacerbated the other issues as well.

Looking at the shape and off centre blur on the stars, I'd say it was collimation of your secondary mirror. You'll need to adjust the small screws on the back of you scope (very carefully).

Esiest way is to point at a bright star, then de-focus til you see a "doughnut". If you see the central "hole" off centre, then you need to adjust the screws until it lies in the centre. 

Archived