NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Astrotortilla - Allign first?

Stian

Hi,

Quick question.

Do I have to align my mount prior to using Astrotortilla? Or does Astrotortilla actually take care of the tracking as well? (Using a combination of Stellarium / Astrotortilla / NextRemote / Nexstar 6SE

br

Stian

You need to polar align it. Your scope will track whatever you point it at without any input (although for ultra accurate tracking you have to guide) - you just use astrotortilla OR stellarium(once you have star aligned it) to point the telescope - it then tracks all by itself. You probably don't need to star align for astrotortilla - that's kinda the point :) certainly don't when I use plate solving for targeting in SGPpro.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Managed to test the setup on Sunday. So I had to do a 2 star align first to get the scope tracking. Turned out astrotortilla is a great tool for polar align (forgot to mention that I have a wedge).

1 hour ago, Stian said:

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Managed to test the setup on Sunday. So I had to do a 2 star align first to get the scope tracking. Turned out astrotortilla is a great tool for polar align (forgot to mention that I have a wedge).

Hi

I wouldn't recommend using AT to polar align with - it's unreliable! Much better to use drift aligning (the PHD2 tool is good if you set up guiding)

Louise

Archived