Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Powertank or custom build.

Thinking of investing in a powertank(Skywatcher,Celestron) but the newer models only have the 12Volt outlets and the two USB outlets which are 5 volts. My motor drive runs on a 6 Volt supply(batteries at the moment). Will the 5 Volt supply run the motors or should I invest in the older version of the powertank which has 3,6 and 9 Volt outlets. Thought about customising my own portable power supply using a Yuasa NP 12-6, 6 volt rechargable battery as suggested by "bottletopburly" but I would need advice on the wiring set up. Grateful for any suggestions.

Regards

Clive

Skywatcher  Explorer 200P, EQ5 Mount, Heavy Duty Tripod , BST 5mm, 8mm, 15mm, 25mm, GSO 32mm, GSO 2.5X Barlow. Skywatcher Dual Axis Motors. 

I had a powertank but managed to kill it early by undercharging it (the LED lights are misleading I think)...

As a result I switched to a leisure battery and a charger stored in my shed next to where I setup the scope.

Not truly portable, but speeds up the setup time, if you don't travel out into the sticks.

Archived