Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ5 Syncscan (skyscan) goto mount

greenkat

I have one and very pleased with it. Works exactly like it's HEQ5 and EQ6 siblings. I tested it out a few weeks back by imaging M3 using an Orion Optics 150 f5 newt and Nikon D50. It knocked out 90sec unguided subs with perfect tracking on 80% of the images. That's on a par with the HEQ5 and EQ6 Synscan mounts i've owned.

The main downside is the mass of cables you have to connect up. The HEQ5 and EQ6 are very uncluttered and self contained. With the EQ5 everything is an add-on.

On the upside, it's very light, easy to setup and move around even when fully loaded. It carries the newt, plus a guidescope and all the camera gear with ease.

I've owned it for almost 2 years now, which is very good for me and testament to how much i rate it.

Russ

Cheers for the reply russ

Would you recomend me getting the HEQ5 PRO SkyScan that I can put my Orion Optics SX150 onto as apposed to buying a new LXD75 with 6" Schmidt newtonian ?

:salute:

At the beggining of the year, I was contemplating buying an LX75 mount + Meade refrator versus a Skywatcher120 refractor on a HEQ5 Pro. Some comments I came across referred to the LX75 mount as the 'coffee grinder' mount. I was looking at a used LX75 though and Meade could well have made improvements to it since.

On reflection, athough it cost more, I opted for the HEQ5 Pro option and I can say that so far I am happy wth the mount. It is rather quiet, making just a high pitch whine as it slews but is completely silent while tracking. It seems to track rather well too although due to the lack of clear nights during the last 3 months I haven't used it in anger yet and I haven't attempted any imaging.

Cheers for your reply, :D

I'm not busy today in work and am so tempted to rush to Stockport telescope center and buy the HEQ5 Pro,

Do you move yours in and out of the house?, If so, how heavy is it?

The LXD is indeed a coffee grinder when it's allowed to run at max slew. But there is a quiet slew mode but this does mean the LXD slews at a snails pace.

I found the LXD75 worked great when paired with an ED80. It's GOTO was spot on and tracking not too bad. But it's no match for the EQ5 or HEQ5 Synscan. They are in another league.

The HEQ5 is very easy to move around and transport. If you can afford it, just get the HEQ5.

Russ

Archived