NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

daft I know - but !

nytecam

Last night the sub-freezing temps [-7C] continued but crystal clear under a bright gibbous moon due east after dusk .. Just an hour before our evening meal so give it a shot with just the laptop under my arm and obsy soon opened up and ready to go.  Used the moon as my scope goto sync and shot half a dozen pic for later mosaic to do. Onto nearby Aldebaran for precise centering/ sync and then Merope field in Pleiades first deepsky target with images saved for later comparison to earlier shots of many red dwarf flare VS therein. 

Uranus next in Pisces and two... no three satellites 'seen' about the planet including Ariel  - well placed for first time this season.   Checked Megastar for nearby gxs but all pretty faint and expanding the fov and spied a PN low down in Cetus below Uranus eg NGC 246 = Skull Nebula.  It's large [4' diam] and faint [m15] and took a few 20s exp but nebula not seen on laptop screen. Then did a 6x10s auto stack via s/w and the disc popped into view but near saturation due to moonlight !

Time nearly up so a final goto M1 only 5 deg from the moon - daft I know but amazingly the Crab was there amongst the moon glare.

Nytecam

post-21003-0-53129900-1453395815.jpg

Here's the Merope, Skull and Crab nebulae under brilliant moonlight !  Colour dumped as too noisy. Even the M1 faint pulsar is just visible under the central bright bar.

Bet all the deepsky 'visual' guys said 'observing impossible' and stay indoors !

Nyte

post-21003-0-91230700-1453463494.jpg

post-21003-0-34103900-1453463512.jpg

post-21003-0-89893000-1453463552.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here's that bright gibbous moon illuminating the deepsky targets [with a bite-out-of-it in an iffy montage] mentioned in the 1st post above ;-)

Unfortunately the DSO images themselves have [temporarily!] vanished under the new SGL layout ;-0

moon3allcut1.jpg.b863ca6b99fe53d87e69f1eNyte

Here's the DSO montage [including the offending gibbous moon] that I posted on the CN LP forum when quizzed by someone totally frustrated by LP and "suppose you use your camera under a bright moon too !!!!".  Well yes I do - don't let any LP natural or artificial blight me.  Got rubbished  - apparently I should devote all my time combatting LP but I choose to get-a-life.

Nyte

moonmix160120mg.jpg

Archived