Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Algieba and Algieba "Twin"

After seeing in CDSA (2nd ed.) that 54 Leonis is a "twin" of Algieba, I switched backwards and forwards between the two last night to compare them. I must admit, I found it difficult to see any similarity!

Algieba: beautiful golden yellow primary and secondary, spider-web golden diffraction pattern on each, easily separated.

54 Leonis: fainter pair, greater separation, peach-yellow primary and lilac secondary.

Both viewed at x225 with 180 Mak Pro.

Any ideas on why 54 Leo is described as a twin?

Chris

Colour can be very subjective between different observers eyes and gear.

We were observing "Hind's Crimson Star" in Lepus and "La Superba" in CNv. Both were gloriously coloured in fracs, but hardly a trace of colour in Newts.

Looking at Haas, the descriptions vary, the only similarity seems to be the comparable separation.

Algieba , "Grapefruit/ orange", Webb"gold green/red. Smyth "bright orange yellow/green" 4.6"

54 Leonis, "Banana yellow/ sapphire blue", Webb " green white /blue". 6.3"

They certainly are beautiful to observe, I just put down a big "c" for colour !

Will have a longer look when the Permacloud goes,

Nick.

Colour can be very subjective between different observers eyes and gear.

We were observing "Hind's Crimson Star" in Lepus and "La Superba" in CNv. Both were gloriously coloured in fracs, but hardly a trace of colour in Newts.

Looking at Haas, the descriptions vary, the only similarity seems to be the comparable separation.

Algieba , "Grapefruit/ orange", Webb"gold green/red. Smyth "bright orange yellow/green" 4.6"

54 Leonis, "Banana yellow/ sapphire blue", Webb " green white /blue". 6.3"

They certainly are beautiful to observe, I just put down a big "c" for colour !

Will have a longer look when the Permacloud goes,

Nick.

Yes, I agree that colour is relative to observer and to scope, but this seems a big difference, which accords with the spectral class difference as well.

Interesting that you found La Superba to have little colour with a newt - with both my maks it seems to be about the same, ie ruby. Maybe something to do with how different eyes respond to different flux levels?

Chris

Archived