Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mount Advice - Upgrade Or Replace

Hi everyone,

As above I am facing a bit of a decision...

I currently have a Bresser NT203 Newtonian Reflector on a Bresser Mon-2 Mount. I have been fairly successfully using the manual tracking/adjustment to observe/follow both planets and some DSO.

My real interest is for imaging. Planetary and then DSO with a DSLR.

I have just purchased an Altair-Astro GP Cam Colour to start me on the road. Plan being that this can become a Guide Scope cam for Auto Tracking in the future.

I tried to do some imaging last night and managed to get everything working but found the mount to be fairly wobbly. It was quite windy so this did not help. I have looked today and I think the OTA (13kg) is right at the max of the mounts weight capability.

I am planning to upgrade to GoTo - This is where my question sits.

Should I upgrade the existing mount with a GoTo or should I keep/sell this mount and look for a mount with higher weight capacity and GoTo (HEQ-5) ?

Many thanks

Its simple really.  You can't be over-mounted for AP especially if you want to chase DSOs.  Therefore your minimum entry is the HEQ5 Pro to achieve your objectives.  If you can go higher than that say a NEQ6 then great.  GoTo on your current mount won't make any difference.  What you need is a stable EQ tracking platform.

Thanks both for the response.

I have decided that a mount upgrade is the best long term approach. I will prob get an HEQ5. I think this will give me the best options down the road.

May keep the MON2 as a slightly more portable set up.

Thanks again.

Archived