Specsavers Lens Cleaner

Relpet

I have followed previous threads with interest so already know about the Celestron lens pen, the Baader fluid and Geoptik fluid.  I have and use a blower.  I'm about to order the Celestron lens pen.  

My question relates to a stock of lens cleaner that has accumulated from samples every time I go to SpecSavers,  The product is described as CFC -free, non-toxic and contains no  solvents or alcohol. Clearly SpecSavers expect this to be used repeatedly on coated spectacle lenses without harming them.  

I have to use eyedrops for glaucoma, which stimulate the lengthening of eyelashes.  So residue from the drops, watering eyes and so on  are more likely to brush onto any piece of glass directly in front of my eye.  From time to time I can feel the lashes rubbing across my spectacles like windscreen wipers so I guess the same thing happens with eyepieces.  Also I was rather clumsy in picking up an eyepiece in the dark recently and put my thumb on an uncapped end.  Self-inflicted slapped wrist for that!

From previous reports I'm guessing the lens pen will do a good job, but if I need to use a fluid can I take advantage of my SpecSavers stockpile?

Any advice greatly appreciated, as always.

I use a proprietory French lens cleaner and have been doing so for about 12 years. No problems. (i don't use it on mirrors, just lenses.) A thumb print on an EP lens is about as worrying as finding a ten pound note. In other words, it isn't!!

Olly

I have boxes of both Aldi and Lidl lens cleaning clothes for my specs.

The Aldi ones sm,ell pure but teh Lidl (W5) ones smell like they have limonene in them - I don't know if this could leave a residue or oil film.

My wife uses the Lidl product on her glasses but I thought the fabric would be too abrasive for eyepieces.  You can't beat their 70% Ecuador chocolate though!

I'm in murky Surrey just now, Olly, but am heading south on 7th Feb.  What's the name of the cleaner you use, please?

It's called Optinet. I'm at my stepdaughter's this morning and had to think about that but I remembered the second half and my wife the first... Old age.

Olly

It's called Optinet. I'm at my stepdaughter's this morning and had to think about that but I remembered the second half and my wife the first... Old age.

Olly

Thanks Olly.  Old age?  You ain't seen nuthin' yet.

Peter

Archived