NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Can I Use These Eyepieces With 130Pds?

Hi guys,

I am looking for some high magnification eyepieces and found this http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-sky-watcher-5mm-uwa-planetary-eyepiece/p1535583

would that work with my 130pds? I want to see some details on jupiter and saturn...I tried the 10mm cheap eyepiece it wasnt sharp enough but I could see the bands on jupiter that was nice.

Also can I use X2 barlow with that 5mm eyepiece?

Or if you can suggest something better and sharp but within £50-60 range or less :)

A 5mm eyepiece will give you 130x magnification - totally do'able in the 130pds and should give nice views. The theoretical limit for that scope is 260x so you may even be able to ramp it up a bit to around 160x with not a lot of problem - you'd need a 4mm eyepiece for that.

But I wouldn't use a barlow with that short an eyepiece - too much glass in the way for a short focal length (650mm). And with a fast focal ratio (f-5) it'll need to be fairly good quality. Around £60 will get a very resonable new piece - or an even better one second hand. At higher mags though, bear in mind you need a clear night with good seeing and transparency. Higher risen objects will give better views. Hth :)

A 5mm eyepiece will give you 130x magnification - totally do'able in the 130pds and should give nice views. The theoretical limit for that scope is 260x so you may even be able to ramp it up a bit to around 160x with not a lot of problem - you'd need a 4mm eyepiece for that.

But I wouldn't use a barlow with that short an eyepiece - too much glass in the way for a short focal length (650mm). And with a fast focal ratio (f-5) it'll need to be fairly good quality. Around £60 will get a very resonable new piece - or an even better one second hand. At higher mags though, bear in mind you need a clear night with good seeing and transparency. Higher risen objects will give better views. Hth :)

Ok great thanks I'll look for a nice 4mm eyepiece :) last night was excellent...the 28mm eyepiece that came with the telescope is pretty good but too wide.

According to the ad, that 5mm is a modified Plossl with a 58° degree field-of-view. That's pretty wide for a planetary eyepiece. It should be fun! I'd go for it if it were me.

Quick lesson in telescope-math: To find the magnification of an eyepiece, divide it's focal-length - 5mm - by the focal-length of the telescope - 650mm. So it's 650 / 5 = 130.

Enjoy!

Dave

BST Starguiders are on special offer on eBay at the moment from Alan at skies the limit from £49 down to £46.50 I think and free p+p,there very good work well at f5 and if your not happy you can return them.They have a very good following on here I still have the 8mm which I can,t seem to part with.They are 60 degree fov by the way with ed glass and twist up eye cups.

That is the first time I have seen anyone post that an eyepiece was too wide.  People pay extra, sometimes a lot extra, for wide view eyepieces.  I paid $100 for the 38 mm just to get a wide view.

But each to his own.

Haha by wide I meant like low power 28mm ;)

It's interesting that people prefer wide angle for different things. At low magnification a wide angle gives a larger field of view to frame the target better. I prefer wide angle eyepieces for high magnification planetary targets because the object stays in view longer at 200x plus. Trying to view anything at high magnification makes it zip across the FOV, without a GOTO or a clock drive, this inevitably makes you turn the slo mo controls with your arm going like a fiddler's elbow just to keep the object in frame lol!

It's interesting that people prefer wide angle for different things. At low magnification a wide angle gives a larger field of view to frame the target better. I prefer wide angle eyepieces for high magnification planetary targets because the object stays in view longer at 200x plus. Trying to view anything at high magnification makes it zip across the FOV, without a GOTO or a clock drive, this inevitably makes you turn the slo mo controls with your arm going like a fiddler's elbow just to keep the object in frame lol!

yes my first scope was 130m on eq2 mount...and that was a real pain to operate manually even with a 10mm eyepiece thats why this time I got the AVX mount ;)

Archived