Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Looking at jupiter

Hi guys just bought a skywatcher 200p and don't know which eyepiece to get to give me the best possible view of Jupiter don't need the make just unsure off which mm eyepiece would give me the best view and is it possible to see the red spot with this scope and is it possible to adapt the finder scope somehow has I find this back breaking to in high up so I don't have to buy a new finder scope sorry for so many questions just really starting out

Start with a low mag eyepiece between 30 and 24 mm, then work your way up until you have the best view. Jupiter doesn't really respond too well to very high mags, so keep it to around 150-180max, but also be aware that seeing conditions may limit the magnifcation to even less than this. Yoy should easily be able to see the GRS with your scope, I can see it with my 76mm scope!

You can buy a right angle finder to ease back problems.

To work out the magnification of an eye piece divide the focal length of the scope n imm by the eye piece length in mm.

So if your scope is fl = 1000mm and you have a 25mm eye piece then 1000 / 25 = 40x magnification. If you have a 5mm eye piece then 1000 / 5 = 200x mag. Bear in mind a 2x barlow will double the strength of an eyepiece so a 10mm eye piece in a 2x barlow effectively gives you a 5mm eye piece. Hth :)

Hey - I started out with a 200. It's focal length was 1000 and I always started with a wider field, low power like a 25mm and worked my up. Best views I got were between a 16mm and 12mm but this was dependent on factors such as transparency, darkness of sky. Sometimes all you do at really high magnification is magnify atmospheric wobbling. It's one of those objects where trial and error on the night will determine what your best views come from. Good luck and clear skies.

Archived