Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Budget / Occasional Drill Stand

Macavity

I have the occasional need to drill holes in Dovetail Bars etc. Finally I tired of the work

piece wandering about the floor... and my holes being "not quite vertical" etc. etc. :p

Just bought myself a budget Drill Stand:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Peugeot-100505-Drill-Stand-Width/dp/B00LCQU2DQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452174970&sr=8-1&keywords=peugeot+drill+stand

(Peugeot SP 500 B 100505 Drill Stand)

A quick test get a thumbs up from me! I doubt I will use the intermediate "shelf thing"

(how technical am I?) but when screwed to a worktop the drill *is* central to the base!

A quick test with a digital level reveals the thing is square to (well!) within a degree...

Provided you centre punch things (drill a pilot hole even?) it's a nice RIGID device. :)

Didn't think it worth spending £200 on budget drilling machines with lousy feedback?

That's very much like the Black and Decker Stand and drill i brought back around 1980'ish, can't remember the cost and while i have a 25 year old 16 speed bench drill,  the B&D stand still has its uses....

One of these will save you fingers...

20140926_1035331.jpg

The B&D 

DSC_9629.jpg

Oooh, my dad had one of those B&D drill stands :)

Very much agree regarding the machine vice.  Fingers don't enjoy it when the drill grabs the workpiece and spins it around at several hundred rpm.  If you don't have one then find some other way to clamp the workpiece down.

James

Did buy "frequently bought with" vice... Which turned out to be "a bit rubbish". :p

I will be on the look out for something rather better. The base of the Drill Stand 

is only 6" square, so looking for something rather smaller and better made...

Sadly, I already had the scars from a snapped drill and a bisected finger nail! :(

Meanwhile, with a bit of careful ad-hoc anchoring the stand has allowed me to 

clear up a number of jobs which I had previously viewed with some trepidation.

Of zero real-world consequence, but two "precision" drilled / tapped M6 holes

for an adapter plate for the Skywatcher Guidescope Mount on my SkyTee II!  :D

(Always been a bit of a challenge to get dual Al-Az mounted scopes parallel)

post-539-0-92865700-1452264169.jpg

Archived