Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Orion StarShoot on Celestron 114LCM

It is going to happen but what can I expect to see (under optimum seeing conditions)? What is the equivalent power (I'm sure I'm asking this incorrectly). As I've said before it is the only solution to my situation, that is doing all my viewing on a computer screen.

The camera will be (when it gets here) used on my Celestron 114LCM 1000MM it turns out I have no idea what to expect of images. The camera is an Orion StarShoot DSO color unit.

The final images whatever they are will be shown on our 62" flat screen plasma TV.

Terrible post but I don't know how to express it any better.

It is going to happen but what can I expect to see (under optimum seeing conditions)? What is the equivalent power (I'm sure I'm asking this incorrectly). As I've said before it is the only solution to my situation, that is doing all my viewing on a computer screen.

The camera will be (when it gets here) used on my Celestron 114LCM 1000MM it turns out I have no idea what to expect of images. The camera is an Orion StarShoot DSO color unit.

The final images whatever they are will be shown on our 62" flat screen plasma TV.

Terrible post but I don't know how to express it any better.

This one ? http://www.telescope.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=101501

The main problem you are to need to be aware of is that the mount is unsuitable for DSO imaging. The way the mount tracks across the sky, in a zig zag motion, means that after short period of time you will see a rotation of the stars in the downloaded images. Also, the mount does not have the ability to be autoguided so any inaccuracies in your initial alignment will become apparent in the images (steaky stars) . 

This one ? http://www.telescope.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=101501

Yes, that is the one I got, came yesterday 12/29.

The main problem you are to need to be aware of is that the mount is unsuitable for DSO imaging. The way the mount tracks across the sky, in a zig zag motion, means that after short period of time you will see a rotation of the stars in the downloaded images. Also, the mount does not have the ability to be autoguided so any inaccuracies in your initial alignment will become apparent in the images (steaky stars) . 

Understood. Unfortuantely I have what I have and will have to live with it until (hopefully) I can get a scope that will allow decent DSO.

I'm thinking of an 8" Schmidt-Cassagrain - Meade or Celestron but also with an equatorial mount instead of the Alt/Az I have now. (I think equatorial is correct).

I am saving monthly until I can get a decent scope. It might take a couple of years unless I have enough to put down and pay the rest monthly though that is a dicey way to do it.

Archived