ED-80TCF - Neximage Burst Color ccd - 2 x barlow - (ICap settings = gain 495 - exposure 1/156 sec - brightness = 0 - 25 fps - moon focus) 

Happy to catch a few frames, ISS was traveling fast and not high altitude W-N but managed to get a few frames shortly after dusk. 

If I open clutches on EQ-G mount and turn the whole mount perpendicular (ISS is North = mount polar scope pointing east), its quite easy to manually track ISS with illuminated cross hair reticle.  I tried the settings a member posted here for a Newt as my icap settings.    

I think my gain for this set up was way too high and not an ideal camera for the task, but it produced some nice fuzzys regardless.  Going to try 3x barlow next time, mess with gain and star focus instead of moon.  Maybe try my Nikon also another member suggested rapid jpegs.  Forging on toward recognizable ISS.

Happy viewing !

ML

post-46204-0-96499600-1450547060_thumb.p

post-46204-0-04635800-1450547075_thumb.p

post-46204-0-87234500-1450547089_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

ML 

A good start.

Key things to get right are the focus and exposure - ie gain,  brightness, gamma and shutter speed.

I suggest you try 1/250 as freezing the image is very critical - I use 1/1,250 ! - but with a DMK21 at 30fps on a C9.25.

Using a 3xbarlow will probably not help as you will need to up the exposure to compensate - less is sometimes more !

If you stack the images only use ones that are a maximum of about 1 second apart. Be very critical when you select the ones to stack as the orientation and seeing changes very quickly - individual images are often better than the stacked ones

Happy hunting

Don

Archived