Catalina on 18th December

Another attempt at Catalina from early Friday morning. This time I used star adventurer with canon 70d and my tamron 150-600 at about 250mm. Must say this lens is so difficult to focus and I'm not sure of its quality for this type of work. I'm not sure if I should invest in a canon 300 f4 prime as thats a cracking lens for my wildlife photography as well or go for a small scope such as an altair astro 70 purely for astro imaging. Then I'm not sure if the star adventurer would cope with the weight? Decisions decisions!!

I also had problems with DSS with this one as well. I'm not sure if I've mucked up the comet settings as it kept getting right to the end and less than one second to producing the final image before locking up! I did get something out in the end but again not sure how many it stacked, I think about 14, 35 second exposures. As always my photoshop skills are suspect!!!

post-5004-0-31980100-1450520976_thumb.jp

Are you using the feature where it stacks the comet and stars separately? How do you get on with it?

Hi, yes was trying to. As I said it took an age to work through and then kept telling me it wasn't responding with <1 second remaining! Very frustrating, especially when you've waited for it to run through to the very end. I've not worked out what I was doing wrong yet. I think I switched this shot to having the comet focussed and the stars trailing but after about seven botched attempts I can't be certain!! :huh:

Scott

Archived