NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Plate solving with APT

Astroboffin

Hi All,

I use APT as my software of choice for imaging with my Atik 414ex CCD camera, and it works extremely well.

My issue is the plate solving feature, which has now been upgraded in the latest edition of APT, but I have never used, as basically I don't understand how.

As I use an Meade LX90 as my mount, which is not spot on with the goto's, can I use the plate solve feature to help, by that I mean, for example if I go to a target such as the Dumbell neb, and take a 3 min sub, and the target turns out to be in the top right corner of the field of view, rather than faf about with trying to move into the centre manually, could the plate solve help ?? And if so how ??

Would it be able to automatically move the scope so the target object was in the middle of the field of view of the imaging camera ?

Thanks in advance for any advice given, but please try and make it as simple as possible, as this is new to me. :) :)

AB

Hi AB,

The case you describe is exactly what PointCraft is made for!

So you have to install PlateSolve2 and/or All Sky Plate Solve (Gear->PointCraft->Settings has buttons that will lead you to the right sites). I suppose that you have connetion to your LX90 in APT.

Here is the scenaro:

1. In Camera tab set exposure to 1-5s (it should be enough to see evidence of most of the objects when Histogram is stretched)

2. Click on Auto - this will take an image, solve and sync the scope position

3. Click on Aim, then click in the image to mark the place which you want to be in the center

4. Here there are to option. Click on GoTo++ APT will make a serie of GoTo, Image, Solve to place the coorinates in the center. The other option is to click on GoTo in Gear tab

If you have question don't hesitate to ask :)

Hi AB,

So you have to install PlateSolve2 and/or All Sky Plate Solve (Gear->PointCraft->Settings has buttons that will lead you to the right sites). I suppose that you have connetion to your LX90 in APT.

Here is the scenaro:

1. In Camera tab set exposure to 1-5s (it should be enough to see evidence of most of the objects when Histogram is stretched)

3. Click on Aim, then click in the image to mark the place which you want to be in the center

4. Here there are to option. Click on GoTo++ APT will make a serie of GoTo, Image, Solve to place the coorinates in the center. The other option is to click on GoTo in Gear tab

Superb thanks

And I also answered in the other post....lol

AB

Hi AB,

Here is the scenaro:

Awesome... something new to try.

Archived