Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

General Tips for a noob-pleiades

Hey guys,

So I have been trying out the iTelescope website for imaging too see if its something I'd be interested in. I fear im in over my head a bit, with very limited software knowledge on post processing. I tried imaging the pleiades, and took 5 300 second exposures. I stacked them in DSS and have tried playing with the "levels" and curves" functions in GIMP. I am not getting anywhere close to what I am pretty sure I can do with this software, the stars are just white opaque dots. No color, no hue, nothing. I have read about doing images with RBG filters. Is this something I should try? Or do I have enough to make a respectable image in GIMP with what I have. Im not looking to make a photo thats magazine-worthy, Just something that looks pretty good. What am I doing wrong? Im sure its a ton, so any help would be appreciated. THanks guys!

Archived