Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Heart in narrowband

orionoffelt

I am still trying to get to grips with narrowband imaging this effort is taken over three nights but needs a lot more time on it which I hope to get in the future Ha of 7 x 1200 seconds no binning Olll of 6 x 900 seconds binned 2 x 2 and Sll of 2 x 900 seconds binned 2 x 2 camera QHY9m scope WO 90 at F 5.5

Bob

post-1937-0-46621600-1449776783_thumb.jp

Thanks for posting- it's a good first effort but I see a few problems for you to work on.

Narrow band imaging normally needs longer exposures than RGB. This puts greater demands on guiding accuracy & this is evident in the image you have show cased. I think you need to review your subs and only stack the images that have reasonably round stars. That will take care of the pear shaped stars.

The stacking process you are using should involve a sigma rejection- it has either not been performed or it has failed as there are clones over the image where pixels on the original CCD produce consistent patterns. I also suspect that the image registration is not as good as it could be as the image appears slightly blurred.

The image has potential however you need to pay attention to some fundamentals to achieve better results. Try a 30 day trial of CCDSTACK2- it will help you produce truly better results.

Please don't be offended by these comments. It is only by doing & comparing our results can we get better. The game of astro photography is not easy but with the help of the forum you can achieve truly great results.

Well done for posting.

Thanks for the helpful comments I think one of my problems was that with the poor weather around I had to include some subs which as you say were not up to par hence the poor star shapes on some subs but if I can get more data then I will bin the bad ones the weather has not been kind of late for me but we live in hope.

Bob

Archived