Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

IKEA Hacks

beamer3.6m

There is a popular website called Ikea hacks whic shows what can be achieved with simple alterations (or hacks) to Ikea furniture.

Feeling inspired I thought I would give it a go and see if I could turn out anything for astro use.

I started with this Ikea box table:

2015 12 08 21.26.28

I wanted to make use of my 200p which has been sitting unused for a while due to the Box Observatory getting all the attention when imaging.

I therefore thought that a dob mount would be ideal and I ended up with this.

2015 12 08 21.23.45

2015 12 08 21.23.20

2015 12 08 21.22.54

2015 12 08 21.22.46

I just need to sort out the rotation of the rocker box but I have another of these Ikea tables which I think will come in handy. I also need to apply some furniture pads to the bearing rests.

Just for clarity I have no DIY skills whatsoever but thought I would give it a go. My only gripe is I wish I had made it higher but I am planning on adding some feet to the bottom of the base board (upon which the mount will rotate).

The biggest benefit of this hack is that the cut outs make the mount extremely light but it is solid wood so still quite strong.

Total spend was £20.00 for the bolts and the bearings (Floplast end caps - 110mm - from B&Q).

Archived