NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dumb Question I know But..............

As a newbiee to processing images I'm really struggling with processing images stacked in DSS.

My system is stack and then RGB align. save as RGB aligned.

Then take the same image and add Saturation up to 20% - 40% and save save as Sat.

I then open in PS6 and blow me both images look identical?

Both look B&W and from there on I just ruin the image.

When i save the TIFF in DSS it looks ok.  Open in PS and its just B&W.

Help Please

Gareth

Hi,

When you finish with the image in DSS you need to check the box that says "embed changes but do not apply" if you don't and you apply the changes you will lose a load of data. You want all the dat there for the next stage, don't do any other processing other than stacking in DSS.

DSS is only good for stacking and nothing else you want to use PS6 for the rest or whichever program you use.

Then the first thing you need to do after transferring the image to PS6 is some levels and curves to bring out the detail

Looking against what you have said above it looks like you are applying the changes in DSS and that is a big mistake.

Hope that helps

AB :)

You should use the Autosave.TIFF file that is generated.  As mentioned above do nothing after the stacking.

Do not use Save As as it generates a 16 bit file that is actually a 16 bit wrapper around 8 bit data.  The 32 bit Autosave.TIFF file generated is not perfect either but it's 16 bit data with 16 bits of nothing (which is why it needs converting to 16 bit in PS before you can use it. Ideally use ImageMagick to convert properly to a 16 bit file.  I don't think there is any issue if in the options you do the Autosave format to FTS instead of TIFF - Not sure of photoshop can read FTS though?

Archived