Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar activity summary for May 18th

Starman

And a fine summary it is Pete. The sun looks pretty quiet, but A few prominences are to be seen.

Fairly bereft of spots since the new cycle started. Although not being a solar observer, I rely on what images are posted here. I notice some projections that do not relate to the grid covering the solar disc. Apart from the polar line. I don't see equatorial extention either, just a vertical and horizontal line through the disc too. There obviously is a reason for the grid, and I assume it is for locating and tracking events on the disc.

You were on the go fairly early this morning to get this data. :shocked:

Ron.

The grid is accompanied by a polar axis appropriately tilted so that the southern pole is shown slightly toward you at the moment. The horizontal and vertical lines are the north, east, south and west points on the sky. The Sun's currently tilted over by about minus 20 degrees which is why the NESW and polar axis don't line up.

Archived