NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Starsense Autoalign pros and cons

I am interested in short cutting my star alignment procedure and the Celestron Starsense Autoalign device looks like just the ticket....

...however I can foresee a few problems and wondered if anyone had experience:

1) Presumeably the Starsense unit needs to be precisely aligned to the scope (if frequently, then negates half the benefit)

2) The starsense cannot adjust the mounts azimuth or altitude controls - required for smooth tracking / photography

3) Its only applicable to certain scopes, so as soon as you update your mount - its useless

4) Its not cheap

5) Presuming it doesn't perform auto-guiding as well, you need another set-up for auto-guiding

Alternatively has anyone seen a combined autoguider and autoalign device / software, as the same hardware would seem to be applicable to both?

Many thanks for replies,

Jon

I had a SS but let it go. The reason is that, if you are mainly a visual observer, it is great and gets you very quickly aligned. If, like me, you are mainly an imager the PA is not easy to get accurate enough.

1.The SS is easily aligned with the scope and, as long as you do not remove it from its mounting you can remove it from the scope and it stays aligned.

2. This is where the PA comes in - IF you get a good PA the mount will track and is not affected by the SS.

4. Sold mine for £200 - is that expensive?

Because you have to calibrate it each time you change the scope it's on I could not be bothered anymore. Plus I just could not get an accurate enough PA. I find that I can get a good PA using the Nexstar handset.

Peter

I tend to use my Starsense on my 6se and it performs fantastically. It also worked on my AVX mount far better than me doing the 2 +4 star alignment procedure.

You're right that it doesn't guide, once it's aligned, I put the dust cover back on mine but I could just as well remove from the scope straight away.

Re aligning it to the scope; this is a first time use only procedure, once it's aligned to the scope, that's it, even if you remove the Starsense from the scope between use (as I do). It even knows which mount you're using and will remember (if I recall correctly) up to 4 mount/scope alignment combinations.

Yes, expensive, but I really think saves a lot of time aligning a mount and more accurately than I can. I even tend to set it aligning whilst I fit the diagonal and ep to the scope (not recommended I know, but it all still works well and by the time I've finished the scope is all aligned for me). Personally, I'd recommend it to Celestron GoTo mount users big time.

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking about getting one of these for my 9.25 Evo but I don't really see a need.   I've only had it for a little over a month now only had two chances to get out to Long Sault and from there the two star align worked each time,  sitting on my balcony in Toronto I have a rather poor view of the eastern sky but even with my wonderful view, I can always get the 3 star align to succeed, although it does take a few tries sometimes.

Are there other Evo users that find it really useful or is it just the WOW factor?

Archived