Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Carry cases, Backpacks etc. Where to find?!

As I'm thinking of buying a small achro refractor for travels, I most definitely need something to carry it everywhere :cat: I was thinking the Maplin metal case with pre-cut foam cubes would be a good idea, but then again, a similar type back-pack, would be much better (If, of course, they exist :shocked: ) , since although secure, a metal case is not very convenient to carry around . I saw WO does backpacks for their megrez 80 if I'm correct, but as far as I know, they are pre-cut, to fit specifically that OTA.

So my question is: does anyone know, where could I find a good/convenient backpack with foam inside? :cat:

Thanks

Marius

You can get back packs for camera gear, depending on how long your OTA is maybe you might find one to fit. Try Warehouse Express, they carry quite a large range.

Archie

As Naz suggests your best bet is a long lens case for camera gear. I'm going to be buying this long lens case for my Megrez 90 when I visit the States soon. They feature customisable foam inserts to protect and hold the scope, and have plenty of pockets for EPs. Best of all they are designed to meet the 22" carry-on baggage limits of the airlines.

If you don't fancy trying to import the Kinesis stuff I think Lowepro (sp?) do something very similar.

I use a Lowenpro bag, fully foam lined with dividers etc, very handy. When I take the lens hood off my 80mm short-tube refractor, the scope fits snugly into one compartment (lying horizontally) leaving loads of room for everything else except the tripod.

Thanks everyone, I will now go and try to check those Lowepro stuff :salute:

Best of all they are designed to meet the 22" carry-on baggage limits of the airlines.

You can take a 22" on board?! Cool! I think an 80mm might be a bit more convenient though...

Andrew

And, Andrew.. I think He doesn't mean an obsession dob :cat:

Marius

P.S. acey, would you happen to know what your bag is called :shocked: . They seam to have loooads of them.. oh, and what frac do you have too :cat:

Marius, I have the Rover

http://products.lowepro.com/product/Rover-AW-II,2024,14.htm

which is airline carry-on. Scope is a Celestron (Synta) short-tube - should have the same dimensions as Startravel etc, but I don't know about Megrez. The padded dividers in my bag are all in the lower section; if you needed to store the tube vertically then you'd need to cut foam to secure it in place. The compartments are separated by a zippered internal divider (fabric) - just leave that open and you have the full interior length for storage if need be.

The scope fits horizontally without lens hood but is a neat fit, making it potentially vulnerable to side-on bashing. If it was a more expensive scope I'd want to store it vertically with more padding.

Cheers, Andrew

Cheers Andrew! Looks like a nice choice, and it seams there is enough space for everything else, no need for a separate bag :shocked: I'll have closer check on it. Ta

Marius

Only asking because when I picked up a Vixen 80s which was a ST80 in all but name, the guy I bought it from used a video camera hard case and just lined it in foam. Worked a treat.

Shouldn't have sold it really, t'riffic little scope...

Tony...

Archived