Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SKYWATCHER RED DOT FINDER

Hi , Just recieved a skywatcher red dot finder from wex  photographic. Removed the plastic isolation sheet and turned it on. There is a red light but it does not project a dot on anything. Am I missing something here?. I have tested the battery and it was ok with over 3volts. Does it only work in dark conditions?

The Red dot finder only projects the dot onto the lens element.

When you look through from the rear of the scope you will see the dot on the lens with the sky in the background. Set up during the day focusing on the furthest thing you can with your telescope the turn on the finder and align using the two plastic wheels on the front right and rear of the finder.  The further away your target is the more accurate the finder will be at night.  You will need to get used to getting your eye on the right place to see the dot on the lens.

Gareth.

The Red dot finder only projects the dot onto the lens element.

When you look through from the rear of the scope you will see the dot on the lens with the sky in the background. Set up during the day focusing on the furthest thing you can with your telescope the turn on the finder and align using the two plastic wheels on the front right and rear of the finder.  The further away your target is the more accurate the finder will be at night.  You will need to get used to getting your eye on the right place to see the dot on the lens.

Gareth.

Thanks for that Gareth. just showing my ignorance once again. I have laser levels and thought the finder worked in the same way Der!

Thanks for that Gareth. just showing my ignorance once again. I have laser levels and thought the finder worked in the same way Der!

It's a logical enough assumption but when you think about it, it's a damn good thing they don't work like lasers. imagine being at a star party trying to image with 50-100 red lasers criss-crossing the sky :D

It's a logical enough assumption but when you think about it, it's a damn good thing they don't work like lasers. imagine being at a star party trying to image with 50-100 red lasers criss-crossing the sky :D

Yes I had not thought of that. I think what put me in the wrong frame of mind was my visit the Kielder  observatory and the guys there were using laser pens to point out objects in the night sky.

Yes I had not thought of that. I think what put me in the wrong frame of mind was my visit the Kielder  observatory and the guys there were using laser pens to point out objects in the night sky.

I'm yet to visit Kielder, sounds like an amazing place though...I'll get there one day :D

Archived