Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Just got the Skywatcher EQ6 GT as by your recommendation. I have a question

mcmalloy

Hi there!

Some of you helped me find a new mount as a successor to the AVX that I was having problems with. 

A few days ago I bought the Skywatcher Az-EQ6 GT from the german retailer, teleskop-ekspress.de

I literally just got the mount, and started unboxing it. I noticed that the mount came with a power cable, as with the AVX, that is designed to be fitted in a car power outlet or a battery bank.

I dont own any batteries, and I previously had gotten a main power cable for my AVX, so i could directly plug it into a wall outlet, to deliver a constant voltage.

This means of course that I am unsure whether i can even turn on the mount, since i am afraid that I will cause any damage to its motors or even the hand controller. I have a converter that I can plug the power cable into, so that the mount will get the power from the wall outlet. The converter has an output of 13 Volts and 5A. The manual states that the mount can handle anything from 11-16V and 4-2.5A.

So intuitively I would say that the 13V is good enough (considered I am using a lightweight OTA setup). However I am taking precautions because of the alleged 5A output. 

My question to you is this then: Is this converter safe to use? If not, what do you recommend I should get? I would most likely prefer a cord so that I can directly plug the mount to a power socket. Getting a battery is another option, however I like the idea of a main power source, since this setup will be in my back yard. Thanks for the help! 

Clear skies, Mark

Thank you for the fast response!

I did read about people using the XM21X, however that would mean that I have to wait a few days before I can even think about using my mount!

I was just hoping that the power supply I have could do the job until I could get the Maplins. I guess I just have to be patient then? :) 

Thank you for the fast response!

I did read about people using the XM21X, however that would mean that I have to wait a few days before I can even think about using my mount!

I was just hoping that the power supply I have could do the job until I could get the Maplins. I guess I just have to be patient then? :)

That's also the PSU that I use for my EQ6.  

If you are sure the output polarity of the other PSU is correct for your mount and it is within the tolerances specified in the manual I can't see any reason why you shouldn't use it.

I have this to add: 

It is a Campingaz Coleman Euroconverter "Switching Power Supply" 

Input : 230V at 50Hz 0.6A

Output 13V/5A                   - 65 Watts

This could be a late replay, but anyway... The stated output of your power supply (the 5A part) is the maximum current it can deliver. The mount can take whatever it needs within the 5A limit.

OP,

The power supply you have will work fine.  Just confirm that the outlet is wired correctly for your cigarette plug and you will be fine.  Match the polarity of the telescope supplied cig adapter as shown in the manual to the diagram on the A/C adapter, there is usually a diagram showing the polarity of the output printed on the powerpack showing either the center contact or the shell as the "+" or positive contact.  Just make sure they match,

Good advice above. I would suggest to get a DC adaptor that can put out up to 10A. You could then power other things as well as the mount (such as a camera, dew heater strips...etc) if you get a splitter. The amp rating on the supply is a maximal output value, the mount will draw the current it needs based on its DC resistance.

You only need to really make sure the supply can put out at least the current required by the mount at the correct voltage (which as mentioned is correct).

Hope that helps. :smiley:  :smiley:  

After checking for correct polarity, the main thing is to verify that the power supply is 'regulated'. In other words, it delivers a steady output voltage whether it's lightly or heavily loaded.

As others have said, the current (Amps) delivered depends only on the resistance of the load, so the mount will only draw the current that it needs. That said, it's never a bad idea to put an in-line fuse in the lead going to the mount, to limit the current to a safe maximum in the event of a short-circuit or failure of some kind. The old Meade fork mounts were notorious for NOT having a built-in fuse to protect their electronics, so adding an in-line fuse in the supply lead was a sensible precaution. Don't know if the EQ6 has it's own built-in fuse.

Adrian

Archived