TeleVue Bandmate™ Planetary Filter?

Mak the Night

I have the TV Planetary and I can understand why there are two sets of opinions.  I have used it with my 14" and 8" dobsonian coupled with delos and XW eyepieces. Sometimes the seeing is not agreeable and the out of focus colour is harsh, not improving much when in focus. I have had occasions when this filter has become very satisfying to use however and I like the ochre tone when it snaps into focus, I look forward to giving it another trial run on Jupiter in the New Year.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the TV Planetary and I can understand why there are two sets of opinions.  I have used it with my 14" and 8" dobsonian coupled with delos and XW eyepieces. Sometimes the seeing is not agreeable and the out of focus colour is harsh, not improving much when in focus. I have had occasions when this filter has become very satisfying to use however and I like the ochre tone when it snaps into focus, I look forward to giving it another trial run on Jupiter in the New Year.

OK, thanks. So, as is usual lol, it all boils down to conditions on the night. The trouble is ... I've got wanting the TV Planetary in my head now ...  :eek:

Have you ever used the Baader Neodymium for planetary?

No one thinking about planets and filters should be without this paper:

http://sas-sky.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/SAS-The-Use-of-Astronomical-Filters1.pdf

Just when you thought those silly filters you first bought with your first telescope might make a nice paper-weight or cat-toy, along comes this!

Oh dear.....

Dave

Thanks for the link, interesting although I dont agree with some of the comments especially re H beta geing only good for 2 objects.

Not tried the Tv planetary filter bu at that price I think I will stick to my Antares set

OK, thanks. So, as is usual lol, it all boils down to conditions on the night. The trouble is ... I've got wanting the TV Planetary in my head now ...  :eek:

Have you ever used the Baader Neodymium for planetary?

No I haven't, this is the only Planetary filter I have used. They have become that little bit more established since they were introduced, so occasionally turn up on second hand listings. 

Slightly on topic but I was using my delites on m42 last night and tried using lumicon Hb and o111 filters and the they wont fit, too sloppy. Are tv filter threads different from standard?

Thats odd Phil :icon_scratch:

I have a Lumicon H-B 1.25" filter and that fits fine on the 1.25" barrels of my Ethos eyepieces and 20mm TV plossl.

I've not used a Delite but I can't see why they would go for a non-standard filter thread :icon_scratch:

Archived