Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SkEye Pro (Android) - missing objects?

Andyb90

Hi Everyone,

I've started using the Pro version of the SkEye app on my Android phone. It works quite well having a real time sky map. I also find its pretty accurate when pointing at objects.

But some obvious objects seem to be missing from it. For example a search for the Veil Nebula NGC nos. turns up nothing.

Does anyone else use the app and find the same issue or could it be that I have some kind of filter applied that is not allowing me to see certain objects?

Andy.

Yes, that's what I've found with it - the filters basically hide a lot of objects even from a direct search. I like SkEye Pro a lot, but that's definitely one of its 'issues'. You just have to set the filters judiciously. Some objects it will not show with any filter settings because they aren't classified as galaxies, open clusters, globular clusters, or nebulae. In practice I find I prefer to let it display pretty much all the clusters and nebulae, but to keep the number of galaxies down by limiting the surface brightness to amounts that I might actually have a chance of seeing.

It's my favourite star chart app of the many I've tried but it's definitely a rough diamond, and that's one of its major flaws, IMO.

Archived