NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Realistic exposure time -Alt-az. Syn-scan

As per the title, I have a small skywatcher 130p on an Alt az mount with syn-scan computer controller. My camera is a Sony A5000 ( yes I've since seen the thread ad vision of this camera,s limitations) . If I can mount this camera on this mount what is a realistic exposure time I can expect to capture the milky way ? Currently on a static tripod 13-14 second is all I get before stars begin to blur. Any advice / views

At 500ml focal length I can get around a minute directly east or west before errors in tracking and light pollution dominate. Otherwise around 30s. I've been waiting for a clear evening sky the last couple of months to try my 1100d on my SLT mount to find out that very same question.

• 4 weeks later...

There are some useful examples of imaging, including exposures, obtained while using Alt-Az mounts, in the excellent forum shown below :

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/228101-the-no-eq-dso-challenge/page-1

Apart from this, I find that 30 sec exposure times can be used on an Alt-Az mount without excessive trailing/rotation effects.

My guess is that maximum exposure time depends on where you point  your camera. As long as star trails are straight and parallell lines in your field of view, an Alt-Az mount should be able to cope with them. But near the pole, field rotation should be more obvious. That would also mean it must depend on magnification.

Archived