NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Burst of light - Supernova maybe?

At about 2146 tonight I saw a burst of light that looked like a star appearing then slowly fading over a second or two. It was a couple of degrees esat of due north and about 20 degrees up from the horizon. Could I have seen a supernova? It did'nt look like anything else that I've seen, satellite, plane etc.

If it was a supernova no doubt in will be reported in the astro press.

I wonder if anyone else spotted it?

Anyway I'm off to bed now and will look at replies tomorrow.

Much more likely to be some other phenomenon. A super nova wouldn't appear and disappear within that time frame. A gamma ray burst could but extremely unlikely (unheard of) to be that bright. There was an exceptionally bright gamma ray burst recently which got to something like mag 6 but that was a very rare event indeed.

Wouldn't have been a supernova but an interesting observation non the less. There's always a chance of course it could have been a massive GRB.........hey you might become famous!!

You beat me to it Martin!

Archived