NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Orion Paragon Plus P-Mount - A Question

Hi,

I'm currently using a combination of the much lauded Amazon Basics Tripod and Trigger Grip, and also combination of a Monopod with a Manfrotto 222 trigger grip.

However, when viewing objects near the zenith, I get  quite a crick in my neck, and I quite like the idea of observing from the comfort of a lounger.

Ideally I would like the idea of one of the Universal Astronomics P-Mounts, but budget constraints enforced by my significant other (in case I lose enthusiasm for this pastime) means that I can't stretch to the cost of this mount.

My binoculars are relatively light, comprising a pair of Helios Naturesport 10x50s that I can handhold and a pair of Optician Oregon 15x70s which I normally mount on the tripod and trigger grip.

I've got a Manfrotto 055 Pro tripod, and have considered the Orion Paragon Plus P-Mount, but from the images I've seen it looks like the Binoculars attach in such a way that the mount arcs the binoculars directly towards you when you're seated.

If there Is there anyone out there that has one of these mounts, can you confirm whether its possible to use the mount from a lounger, as it doesn't look like the binoculars can be positioned so that the tripod can be set up to one side of you to arc the binoculars across in front of you.

I'm not much good at DIY, otherwise I'd consider making an L-Bracket and pivot so that the binoculars are held from above.

If anyone can advise on this mount, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks, Ade

Apologies, I seem to have posted twice, can a mod please remove this thread as I seem to have lost the ability to spell Opticron in it thanks to the spellcheck.

I thought I'd hit the stop button in time, but its just duplicated the post.

Sorted! Can't say much about the Orion p-mount, because I built my own

Thanks for removing the duplicate Michael. I might yet resort to DIY, I've been trawling the net for plans, and it doesn't look too bad, but famous last words and all that.....

I must say that I'm not thrilled with Orion mounts whatsoever. I have the previous version of the Paragon, also rated for 10 pounds. And it's flimsy as all get out. In my signature you'll see another Orion mount touched on. It was on sale at 1/3rd price. It wouldn't hold a flea on diet-pills! I got it to work - but I'm a skilled mechanic with a background in engineering! Not recommended unless I held your hand from start-to-finish. Yikes!

So IMHO - I'd suggest looking elsewhere. Orion does some very nice items. But as for tripods - hide everything breakable in your house before you even open the box. And check your fire-insurance.

Best wishes -

Dave

I must say that I'm not thrilled with Orion mounts whatsoever. I have the previous version of the Paragon, also rated for 10 pounds. And it's flimsy as all get out. In my signature you'll see another Orion mount touched on. It was on sale at 1/3rd price. It wouldn't hold a flea on diet-pills! I got it to work - but I'm a skilled mechanic with a background in engineering! Not recommended unless I held your hand from start-to-finish. Yikes!

So IMHO - I'd suggest looking elsewhere. Orion does some very nice items. But as for tripods - hide everything breakable in your house before you even open the box. And check your fire-insurance.

Best wishes -

Dave

Thanks for the heads up Dave, I'd guessed from the lack of responses that maybe they weren't that good and that was why nobody commented but lived in hope.

Based on your experience, maybe I'll give them a wide berth then.

I have since been perusing the net looking at various DIY projects for P-Mounts and may well take the plunge, just got to find enough time to embark on the project.

Thanks for taking the time to reply,

Ade

Archived