Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Adapting DIY spectroscope?

Hi guys

The little DIY fibre optic spectroscope I posted about some time ago is pretty cool to play with but it does have strict limitations.

1- It has a single pixel high ccd sensor

2- It can only operate in real time and not timed exposures and with fairly bright objects.

3- It really needs a guide module like with the Alpy to get the object on slit

So I was wondering if it could be adapted for use at the scope with some minor alterations?

This is a shot with the case off -

post-15973-0-35543000-1445906391_thumb.p

So the setup is where light from the scope arrives via fibre optic cable through the slit at the top bounces off the small mirror at the bottom to the 1200 lines grating which is then deflected to the side to a concave mirror which brings it to a focus on the left to the ccd.

I did wonder if it was possible to add a lens after the slit to make it a parrallel beam doing away with the need for a fibre connection and then enclosing the whole optical assembly in a case and a T mount for say an Atik  ccd in place of the existing ccd? I`ve been trying to work it out with Ken`s spreadsheet without altering the configration too much but not there yet!

Would it be worth the effort?

Thanks

Steve

Ps would be good also if the grating could be made to rotate !

Ken

You think it best to retain the fibre connection? I've no idea what sort of resolution would be achievable but its such a lightweight and small piece of kit it would be pretty cool if it could be adapted for use with another ccd. I'll checkout that beam splitter you mention. I could use my Alpy guide module but that has the slit built in, wonder how a spectroscope would work with two slits? :-)) only joking.

Steve

Archived