NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sadr...filter comparison

Last night I attempted to compare my 2" UHC (own make from Astro market), 2" Skywatcher LP and 1 1/4" Baader UHC s filters on the same image with same no of lights and exactly the same processing steps. Didn't go quite to plan because I didn't take Flats for the Baader and the vignetting on the image ruined it. That one also didn't have the coma corrector attached so it probably wasn't a good comparison. I took 6 X 5 min, iso 1600 lights and calibration frames.

The main purpose of doing it was to see if its worth spending to get a 2" UHC s filter or just stick with my current UHC. 

This one is with coma corrector and LP filter:-

post-35654-0-73653300-1445610382_thumb.j

I was quite surprised of the amount of nebulosity with the LP filter, as I assume it doesn't boost it and it is the modded camera alone that imaged it.

This is the UHC filter:-

post-35654-0-33512000-1445610589_thumb.j

I prefer this one, I think the colour is more pleasing and it has greater contrast. That's not to say the LP one couldn't be processed into the same quality but I think it is quite nice. I think I have saved myself a few quid for a while as after this I don't feel the need to rush out and get a 2" UHC s filter.  :laugh:

Archived