NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Controlling scope through APT

gary1968

Howdy, having just returned to this great hobby after a break for a year or so due to issues at home I am now finding my feet again.

I intend to start using APT to control everything. I have downloaded the trial version and fully expect to pay for the full version if and when I get to grips with APT.

Anyway, lets start with the scope........ How do you APT users control your scopes? I currently use eqmod through C Du C for alignment and goto, I hate C Du C so want to use something else which is one of the reasons I am thinking APT as I believe complete control of the scope can be done by APT.

I have set PHD to 'enable server' so that opens up when I click guide in APT, I have downloaded PlaneWave plate solving doodah, and will look further into getting that sorted out once I have the alignment and Goto sorted.

Anyway, that's enough for my brain to handle just now..... Basically, what I am asking is how do you control the scope & how do you align the scope in APT.....

Thanks in advance,

Gaz

If you click on the Gear tab in APT and then shift click on Connect Scope it will take you the options to scope connection.  With the EQMOD stuff already installed you should see a list like you do when connecting to your scope with CdC something like:   "HEQ5 / EQ6 .... "  .  Select this and your good to go.  Once connected to the scope you'll see within the Gear tab  PointCraft from this you automatically get the scope coordinates (once the mount is connected) and then I just hit the "Auto" button - Note: that when it takes an image it seems to take whatever ISO & exposure time you have currently set for the camera so adjust beforehand to something like 15 seconds / ISO 800.  It takes the shot then Pointcraft resolved from the image and finally syncs the result with EQMOD.

I use CdC and APT together.  While CdC can be a little annoying with the user interface at times it has a good object and star database.  APT is rather too limited for GOTO I've found as many NGC objects are not there.  However, the alignment routine that for me works everytime and resolves within 7 seconds makes APT worth its cost alone.

Thanks Dave. My intention is to stop using CdC, align the scope through APT and if any objust I want is not in the database then use stellarium or similar to get RA and Dec coordinates and input manually to APT (I think you can input manual coords to APT)

Sent from my Vodafone Smart 4 turbo using Tapatalk

I use EQMod and Stellarium to control  my NEQ6, Stellarium Scope  has the Ascom interface run this select your type of scope, then click the run Stellarium button, the Stellarium interface is so much better than the CdC software and it has a better database installed.....

Cheers for the info so far folks,

So then, if I want to go with Stellarium for goto etc and APT for plate solving, alignment and camera control what should I do first?

What order should things be started in? or does it not matter?

Gaz

You can start things up in whatever order you want.  I tend to open everything up connect to the mount / camera in both APT and CdC and get PHD running etc. then plate solve and then use CdC to choose a start for focusing and then to the target for imaging...

I'm gonna test what I have already, APT, CdC running EQMod and PHD...... Its best not to introduce too many new things I think. So I'll run what I was using along side APT, once I get my head round APT I'll change my planetarium to something else...... Maybe by that time Ivo will have an integrated planetarium within APT.

Thanks for the advise folks...... Now awaiting clear sky!

Gaz

Right, had it all connected this afternoon..... glad I did as it was a complete faff trying to get pointcraft working, didn't realise that I had to also download catalogues for platesolve2 to work with..... probably because this is my first venture into plate solving....

Anyway, it all connects and solves previously shot subs, just hoping it clears tonight so I can try it in anger.

apt does have a list of objects under the object button in the gear tab. if you know the name and just want the coordinates for goto and plate solving this works great. it is not the most extensive list but works I would not consider it a replacement for Stellaruim though.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Archived