NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher Refractor Goto North Align?

I will be getting my Startravel 102 Synscan 'scope out when the clouds roll away. This is probably a very stupid question but will ask anyway. Is it necessary to north align the scope? I suspect that the answer is no because the built in star maps  will find, after doing a one or two star alignment (will probably go for two star alignment). I have upgraded? with a 9x50  right angled erect image finder scope and a 90 degree erecting prism, this has nothing at all to do with my question but will put it in anyway.

Thanks

Brian  :grin:

I depends on what firmware the hand set is running. My Synscan goto mount had version 3.09 when I bought it a year ago and you didn`t need to north align it. I updated the firmware on the handset to the latest which is 3.37 and now you have to point the scope north and level it so the setting on the mount arm cradle is at 0 and switch the power off  then back on again so you start the alignment procedure from this position.

My firmware, at present, is 3.36. I am/was going to upgrade to 3.37 today. I am a little surprised that we now have to north align when we didn't before. Where did you get the info about this as the manual makes no reference to it?

Cheers

Brian

I have just been reading a Synscan Hand Control PDF that I downloaded and it states that for an equatorial mount it should be north aligned but on an alt/az on 'Full Feature Mode' it is not north aligned unless you want to use the 'Easy Tracking Mode' when it should be north aligned.

Does that make sense?

Brian

Sorry Brian I miss read the instructions on the handset pdf on the Skywatcher website. As I said I updated the firmware from v3.09 and its a big jump upto v3.37. The instructions could be written a little more clearer I think and in sections for eq mount, az mount and traking mount instead of it all being mixed up together lol.

Clear Skies.

Dennis

Archived