Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Vixen to Losmandy - How to?

Tim99

I have an 80mm refractor and also a Celestron Edge 9.25 on a CGEM.  I plan to image with both scopes.  Whats the best way to use both telescopes with the CGEM?  

The 80mm Refractor has a vixen style mount and the Edge has the Losmandy.  I thought about an adapter to allow me to take the Edge off the mount and put the Refractor on in its place.  Then, I wondered if I should mount the 80mm on top of the SCT???  

Any suggestions on which way to go will be appreciated.  Suggestions for adapters and/or mounting hardware would also be most welcome.

Tim

Easiest way is to replace the dovetail clamp on the mount to a dual Losmandy/Vixen type - one that will accept either. My mount has such a clamp, made by Baader, but I;m not sure what is available to you. Here's another example so you can see what you're looking for: http://www.altairastro.com/altair-tms-heavy-duty-universal-dovetail-plate-clamp-for-ieq45-g11-eq6-heq5-black.html

Ideally you will want to keep the weight down to a minimum, so unless you intend to use both scopes together I would not use a piggy-back arrangement.

ChrisH

Hi Tim,

I use one of these attached from ADM on my 8SE which also has a Vixen dovetail.... Works like a charm.

Putting your 80mm on the SCT is also a option but I think that using the ADM plate is a more convenient option, especially when setting up every time you use your gear and no to get too close to you mounts max loading weight.

post-43662-0-41273700-1445211795.jpg

Archived