Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Adjusting a scope

ultramol

If, after aligning and doing a 3 star synching, sometime later in the session my target has moved slightly in the fiderscope would I have to sync again if I nuged my scope with the direction controls in eqmod. or should I just leave it after moving it, many thanks......geoff

You only really need to sync if you plan on slewing to something else afterwards. The mount will continue to move the RA axis at sidereal rate whether it thinks it is on target or not.

/Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you knock the scope or mount or tripod severely the GOTO won't subsequently be accurate. Also if you've knocked the mount or tripod you have potentially knocked it out of polar alignment and it won't track as accurately.

James

Thanks James, I can vouch for knocking the mount......I have done that more than once.... :mad:  No, it was just a question if I did adjust my scope with the dec control whilst imaging would I have to sync it . I am only talking of a slight movement here to re centre the object in the finder scope

Whilst imaging?!?!? You "framing" will need to be vastly more accurate when imaging than relying on where the target is looking through the finder scope.

If you are imaging, and depending on your target, your PA needs to be very good. If you have knocked the mount i'd consider stopping and re-aligning the PA, as that will take you maybe another 20 minutes, but otherwise if the PA is out you could be writing off a whole night if data.

You need to devise some strategy to make sure you never knock the mount or telescope again. That isn't what an imager needs to be doing in a nightly basis.

James

Archived