Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

AWR intelligent handset GOTO Vixen GP

rikroe666

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about this setup?

I bought a Vixen GP a while back which has this on it, its looks very well made and a solid bit of kit.

When i bought it the seller told me that it had stopped working and had sent the handset back to AWR to be checked and came back ok with a letter from the company to confirm this, the handset powers up fine and when i tell it to slew the numbers change as if the motors are turning but they aren't.

I have noticed the previous owner had the motors labeled up the wrong way so must of been plugging the RA into the DEC and vice versa, i don't think it would but could this of broken the motors??

Is it worth spending money on this or is it a bit out dated now?

I think its around £35 for them to look at it, then repair costs and then i can get the handset updated for around £65 and i think this makes it easier to use?

Hi

I have  a AWR set up and it works very well

Thee handset does not drive the motor it controls a separate drive box ( there are several versions ) it is probably this is where the fault is

As this kit is quite expensive , I would suggest its worth getting it looked at  

Speak to Alan at AWR he is  reasonable chap

Harry

Thanks Harry

I will give him a call on Monday and see what he can do.

Have you had the upgrade done to the handset? At the moment it looks like I would have to put coordinates in instead of just selecting from a list of objects.

Here are Some pics of the control box

Thanks

post-28948-0-89927600-1445094296_thumb.j

post-28948-0-53799000-1445094367_thumb.j

post-28948-0-43763300-1445094455_thumb.j

Hi

That is the advanced micro step , top of the range :)

The new hand set is nice but do not know if I will upgrade as mine does everthing I want

It accepts a autoguider and you can connect it to a computer , this is how I use it

Open a planetarium program , select a target and with a click of a mouse it slews to my desired target without manual inputting of Ra and Dec 

Regards

Harry

That's good news :grin:

I will send it off to be looked at, then I will have a go at connecting up to a laptop, if i don't get on with it i could always sell it on to someone with a bit more know how who could put it to good use.

Thanks again

I have a Vixen GP mount with dual axis drive. Would I be able to connect one of these to the motors instead of the simple hand set ( if I could find one ). I presume it precisely controls the motors using data from the computer.

I have just been looking on the AWR website. The motors are completely different. The motors on my mount would not rotate fast enough to slew the scope around. Never mind I will save up for an EQ5 goto mount or something similar.

Archived