Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Looking for suggestions/ideas for new telescope

Hi guys,

I need a new lightweight imaging telescope that I can use together with my SW Star Adventurer mount, which carries 5 kg of gear.

I obviously want to do DSO and as long exposures as possible.

Now all the tips & literature I read on astrophotography back in the day often suggested a particular scope, the Skywatcher ED80. The OTA weight is 2.5 kg, with camera & finderguider it's probably around 3 kgs.

I do remember the rule that you shouldn't load more gear onto the mount than ½ the max load capacity of the mount for astrophotography & thus maybe the ED80 is too heavy for my SW Star Adventurer?

I'm currently leaning towards the ED80 as my portable imaging telescope. I would need a field flattener & autofocuser for it as well, I don't think any other accessories are necessary?

The reason I made this thread was to get ideas & suggestions from more knowledgeable members of this forums & to check if there are other options I should be looking at instead. Your feedback would be very welcome. :)

Not sure of the cost or availability in the Faroe's but what about the William Optics Star 71.

Smaller (more portable) but faster and it has flatener etc built in.

It seems to get very good reports, the main drawback is the cost. However it is vewry much a dedicated imaging scope.

Maybe ask in the imaging section for example images and further feedback. ?

If I recall TS do a "copy" not sure if available at present as TS items seem to appear, disappear and reappear fairly rapidly. Not sure of cost but if close to the WO then mayube the WO is a bettter option in case you look to sell it later, the WO will I suspect sell easier then the TS variant.

Not sure of the cost or availability in the Faroe's but what about the William Optics Star 71.

It seems to get very good reports, the main drawback is the cost. However it is vewry much a dedicated imaging scope.

If I recall TS do a "copy" not sure if available at present as TS items seem to appear, disappear and reappear fairly rapidly. Not sure of cost but if close to the WO then mayube the WO is a bettter option in case you look to sell it later, the WO will I suspect sell easier then the TS variant.

Yes the TS one is still available. 

I believe it's this one:

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p7085_TS-Imaging-Star71---71mm-f-4-9-Imaging-APO---covers-full-sized-sensors.html

Mia

Yes, thanks for that suggestion. I did just read about the Optics Star 71 today, looks like a wonderful telescope. It's definitely an option. It's a bit less than double the cost of the ED80 and no case, but for a long-term investment superior optics that allow me to use a full-frame sensor is a plus. 

Archived