NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

In need of some advice on finder scopes.

(Note to mods: I created a duplicate post by mistake but cannot get rid of it. Please delete it) As posted elsewhere, I'm thinking about buying a serious telescope- an 8 inch dobsonian (considering offerings from Orion, skywatcher, and Zhumell if they are still made). How good are the finderscopes on these roughly $400 telescopes? If they are as useful as the one on my celestron 114eq

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only Zhumell Dobs I could find are from the USA. Not knowing where you are, I'll link it, but please ignore if you're in the UK or Europa:

http://www.telescopes.com/pages/search-results?q=dobson&p=1

From a previous thread of just a few days ago, the linked Zhumell 8" Dob was the best deal. It already has an RACI-finder, which will save a chunk of $$. And the optics are quite good.

As for finders, the optical-finders, most would agree, that you might consider are a 9 X 50mm RACI - Right-Angle Correct-Image. These are a necessity for a Dob. A straight-through finder on a Bob requires mastering yoga. So a 90°-diagonal is vital. Here's an example:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/skywatcher-9x50-right-angled-erecting-finderscope.html

Many people swear by red-dot finders, usually in combination with a RACI. Having only a red-dot, you may have trouble finding dimmer objects that need the 50mm glass to help you find markers for star-hopping to your destination. But red-dots certainly work well to get you in the neighborhood.

Happy hunting!

Dave

The finder scopes on the Skywatcher, Orion, GSO, Zhumell etc, etc dobs are all pretty much the same 8x50 straight through unit or sometimes the right angled, correct image type (which are easier on the back and neck !). They are decent quality finders but folks often supplement them with red dot / illuminated reticule type finders such as the Telrad which makes finding things easier still.

I was under the impression that my Skyliner was fitted with a 9x50 straight through finder scope. I have been advised and find it best to view through the finderscope with BOTH EYES OPEN. You'll see the effect when you try this.

Many folk will opt for a RACI ( Right Angle Correct Image) finder scope, which corrects the image you see to that of the map or charts you will compare too.

I also have a Terad Finder. For this I need to wear my glasses to see the bullseye clearly, but I really only use the Telrad at darker sites, when/if I can't see the reticule in the 9x50?

Archived