Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Remote Monitor (Screen) Possibilities?

Macavity

Remote Monitor (Screen) Possibilities? OK, it seems pretty obvious that, to "do imaging", you just get a (budget) Laptop, to accompany you at the sharp end of the scope! But are there any viable alternatives? E.g. there may be "climatic" concerns. But aso, I'm fairly miminalist, and on a tight budget - I don't immediately want a Laptop, peripherals, another operating system etc. :p

Clearly e.g. active USB 2.0 camera cables (I have one!) mean a Webcam can be operated "remotely". The only thing I appear to need at the scope is some kind of "focussing screen". (O.K., maybe something to trigger "the action", but I'll worry about that later!). But I imagine SOME folks may prefer a (desktop) computer to sit in a "warm room" - Maybe even to do so, themselves as well! :(

So here's the QUESTION (finally)! PC Graphics cards have extra (rarely used?) connectors. Does the output from these repeat what's on the MAIN screen? Could these be pressed into service to drive a spare (already available!) LCD monitor, small TV screen, whatever? I may just buy a new graphics card (or better investigate my current one!) for my Desktop PC. But this is a GAP in my (outdated!) PC general knowledge too, so this is addressed to computerphiles, as well! :angry:

Chris, the average graphics card should produce without problems the same output on both ports. You generally will have a standard VGA 15 pin D-type connection (Analog) and a DVI connection (Digital). I'm not sure how far you can drive the signals on either port however. I'd suggest, as you have a spare LCD available, trying it out, as long as you have the appropriate connections. What is the graphics card that you have installed ?

Thanks for that, John - Heheh, you got it (my ramblings) in one! :angry:

The idea that the SAME output might well(!) appear at multiple ports is reassuring! Frankly, I bought the cheapest possible graphics card for this self-assembled PC. FWIW, a generic PCI-E GeForce 6200. I see this one has one VGA connector, which I will need for this (albeit nice, wide-screen, but soley VGA!) MAIN monitor. Looks like it has a coax TV-out & DVI-D (digital).

My "spare" LCD also has VGA input, so I will have to investigate if there are any possibilities for driving TWO VGA screens (buy a new card) OR adaptors(?), cable lengths, etc. Always good to have SGL folks to bounce ideas! BUT just maybe the general idea isn't TOO way out? :(

And, if I have any success... :p

Hi John, Yeah - Looks like perhaps simple-ish (OR more complex) solutions may indeed already be available! But you were still ahead of me, so THANKS for the links. I often imagine a LOT more complexity, and (mostly?) end up pleasantly surprised... :angry:

Heheh. There's wisdom in that! I must admit, I tried an off-chance purchase of a "DVI-D to VGA" cable and it didn't work. (I suspect it was REALLY a VGA to DVI-D adaptor) But I'm sure, with more considered (correct) thinking re. cable "genders" etc., it has some future prospects. But I sense the SIMPLER solutions might be more appropriate for now... :angry:

Thanks ALL!

Chris, the problem with that sort of cabling, is that, standard VGA output is Analog and DVI-D is digital. So you need a monitor that can handle either an analog or digital feed on the same connection, or an ADC/DAC adapter/converter assembly in the cable somewhere.

Archived