NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lunar eclipse planning, please check my maths!

michaelmorris

I'm getting set up for tonight's lunar eclipse. I'm planning to take a sequence of shots with my DSLR and a 500mm lens.  If the weather and my wakefulness holds out, I'd like to create a timelapse of the whole umbral eclipse.  Please can someone check my maths?

Umbral eclipse 2:07 to 05:27 BST

By my reckoning that's 3 hrs and 20 mins = 200 minutes = 12000 seconds.

If I take shots at 1 minute (60 second) intervals, this will give me 12000/60 = 200 frames

If I turn this into a 15 frame per second video, that's a 13 second video

Does my maths seem sound?

Thanks

Someone better educated than I may fault the maths, but it seems to work out to me.

But you are shaving off about an hour each side, more so with the penumbra that could be used for calibration before the main event.

However this works out, please at least show me the results, great idea!

Rich

Maths looks OK but how big will 200 videos be?  

200 stills, not videos.  A test shot though thin high cloud this evening had an exposure of 1/125th sec.  Obviously this will be longer during totality, but should still be reasonably quick.  The seeing looks average to okay so far  tonight, so I'm happy with stills

Someone better educated than I may fault the maths, but it seems to work out to me.

But you are shaving off about an hour each side, more so with the penumbra that could be used for calibration before the main event.

However this works out, please at least show me the results, great idea!

Rich

Have I got the timing's wrong?  I thought the umbral phase was 02:07 to 05:27 BST.  

As I'm not planning to use a fixed exposure, I guess the penumbral phase will probably be more or less unnoticeable on the shots (or, of course, I could be completely wrong about this!)

Archived