Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DIY dual camera & scope mount

Stub Mandrel

Not sure if this is a new idea, but I want to be able to use a camera and a scope at the same time. I can put the camera  on top of my big scope's rings, but it's so far out that with a big lens I can't balance it, plus I'd rather use the camera with the small scope so I get a similar view through both.

But that means a separate mounting for the camera.I'd also like to be able to independently adjust the camera so I can align it properly.

My solution was based around a 10" dovetail that came spare with my scope. On one end I fitted a dovetail holder made from a slice of aluminium alloy. For the other end I unscrewed a pan and tilt head off an old tripod and made a mounting block that fits on the other end of the bar.

Now I can mount a camera adjacent to a scope and point it over a large area, but obviously the main use will be to align it with the scope.

A second use I have realised is that the pan/tilt head will provide a rigid and flexible mounting for a guide scope that will allow flexible selection of a guide star.

post-43529-0-70641100-1442926319_thumb.j

post-43529-0-64997300-1442926338_thumb.j

I've used it now, 60 second subs gave lovely round stars but I had a major focus problem. next time I will align the camera so that RA and DEC line up with up and across on the viewfinder to make centralising the target easier. The clamp on the lens means I can rotate to best framing AFTER centring the target.

The focus problem was I had cleaned a lens element and put it back the wrong way round, but the images were enough to 'prove' the setup :embarassed:

Archived