Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SW Dob Alt Bearing

Lorne

Does anyone know where I can get replacement rubber covers for the "608" bearings on my SW Dob base? and are they really required? 

The existing rubber has started to perish and wear thin, it now works itself off the bearings over the course of a nights observing. I can only assume they are there to keep moisture out the bearings when the scope/ mount gets covered in dew. This has got me wondering if the covers are really needed by using ceramic bearings (overkill probably) I cant believe the difference in thickness would affect the accuracy of the level of the alt axis by enough to throw out the "goto" any more than failing to level properly at the start of a session? 

post-12367-0-43764500-1442846307_thumb.j

post-12367-0-42124600-1442846325_thumb.j

Looking further into it, the bearings are not expensive if they require replaced.......

***On another note, I've replaced more than a few "sealed for life" bearings on electric motors in my job  :evil:

there not going to turn 1 revolution on a Dob per night....... :grin:

Archived