NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher ST80 question

Hya everyone.

I was thinking of grabbing one of those cheapish ST80's for a summer travel period (hopefully some nice dark sites). I came to this choice as the weight and size is a main issue, and all I want is some nice widefield views with no fuss setting up. Don't want to go up the price either, as I'm aware the scope might have to withstand all sorts of stress (might get couple of falls, or even, oh dear, swim :? at the very worst) therefore a nice sparkling APO would not be quite a good idea, if you know what I mean :angry:

I have found some shops sell this cheaper with the tabletop tripod (good alternative for photo tripod?) than the OTA alone. But closer look shows the focuser back is different from the usual one. It looks like it may be plastic(see piccy attached) . Any thoughts on that? :?

P.S. I might be able to get a 2" focuser to replace the standard 1.25" the ST80 comes with. Any ideas on how/if that would improve the views?

Thanks

Marius

post-13510-133877341332_thumb.jpg

post-13510-133877341334_thumb.jpg

The ST80 focuser is indeed different from the one fitted to the larger scopes in the range. I used to own one and I don't remember it being particulary bad or affecting the use of the telescope though.

Cheers Gaz.

Although its not the difference between ST80 and, lets say, ST102 that bothers me most, it's the difference between ST80 tabletop (top picture) and the single OTA (bottom). As I said, it seams the "tabletop" has the plastic back :angry: . . However, if this is not a huge problem, it might just be even better weight wise. Anyone had a chance to check it with their own hands?

Marius

The ST80 focuser is OK. Mine is a bit stiff and it is sometimes difficult to focus accurately. I only use my ST80 as a guide scope so I am not constantly altering the focus.

John

I have the ST80 and these days it is used as my guide 'scope but before I got my ED 80, this was my rich field 'scope and I loved it to bits! For your purposes, I'd give the table top version a miss and try to get the version with the full EQ1 mount - this mount too is not great but as a holiday grab 'n go it is good enough - the 'scope itself is a steal at the price no matter what mount it is on and although the R & P focusser is not great, it ain't too shabby either!

Thanks Steve! I am probably looking to get a "proper" ST80 version and nest it on some kind of Alt Az mount or simple sturdy-ish photo tripod to get rid of unnecessary weight.

Marius

Archived