power supply cables for a eq5 goto

just bought the eq5 got upgrade kit, I don't have a battery as yet tha'll be next months purchase, in the mean time id like to know what power supply cabels to buy? 12v 5a 50w? last thing I want is to fry the goto, any links to the correct power supply would be most helpful as Id like to purchase it asap. many thanks.

Do you mean a mains to DC power supply ??

The EQ5 is I believe 12v centre positive and pulls about 1 amp, so a 2 amp supply minimal should suffice.

I use the Maplin L06BR item on the 2 goto's I have, they used to have a bigger one but finding items on the Maplin site is not easy.

Neither of the goto's I have are the EQ5 however and I see that at 12v it says 1.7 amp and at 13.2v it says 1.5 amp

The 13.2 volt you might find useful.

Their bigger one is the L48BQ but at £30 I guess you may as well put that money towards the battery depending on which battery you intend to have. Equally one of the AC/DC units is useful for at home.

If you go to the Maplin site enter "AC/DC Multi Voltage Power Supply" in the search box.

As mentioned, it's very handy to use a 240v/12v (13.8v) transformer at home. of course if you plan on taking your set-up further afield then a 12v dc power supply is necessary. many of us find a leisure battery to be the best option. A 130Ah leisure battery can be had for about the same price as the 17Ah battery packs. of course you'll be needing a charger if you go the leisure battery route. If you intend doing astrophotography, you'll be wanting a descent supply for mount/camera(s)/laptop/dew heaters/ and whatever else you use :).

I use a twin outlet 13.8v/5amp transformer at home (I like to keep my imaging camera on a seperate supply so I use the leisure battery for that).  of course if I'm away from power supply, it all runs off the battery.

Are you confused yet :)

just bought the eq5 got upgrade kit, I don't have a battery as yet tha'll be next months purchase, in the mean time id like to know what power supply cabels to buy? 12v 5a 50w? last thing I want is to fry the goto, any links to the correct power supply would be most helpful as Id like to purchase it asap. many thanks.

12 volt at 5 amps is 60 watts, not 50 watts :) . If you are going to use a battery then it also depends upon what ancillary gear you will want to power as well. You will have to add up the total wattage for all your gear and add a bit for safety. The wire used to go from the battery to your mount and other equipment will have to be matched to the power requirements. Safest option is to use 2.5mm  cable. It will ensure a low voltage drop between battery and equipment during the highest power usage conditions. Remember if you're going to charge the battery at the same time as using it and the battery is a fair way from the mount use the largest csa cable possible, ( 2.5mm is ideal). The outer cover of the cable should also be capable of being stood on without damage., I use orange caravan 240 volt supply cable. It is rated at 16 amps, and tough as it comes.

If you do decide to charge at the same time as using the battery and mount do not use ordinary charging. It can put up to 14.4 volts to the battery. This is beyond the input capabilities of some mounts or equipment in some instances. Use the option of supply if possible it is usually set at 13.6 volts. Only charge to 14.4 volts when the battery is disconnected from your equipment, then the battery will be charged to its proper capacity and it will last longer.

Derek

Archived