Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

September 6, 2015: H-alpha session from Groningen

michael.h.f.wilkinson

Got back home yesterday, and this morning I managed to catch the sun through a break in the clouds. Seeing was a great deal better than in Malta. Fairly quiet on the sun at the moment. There are some thin filaments scattered over the disk, a few sunspots to the east, and one or two bright plage regions, in particular one on the south-eastern disk. Some small proms, but nothing spectaular. Still good to see the sun again (without being roasted like in Malta ;))

Always good to catch up with your reports. Hoping for the odd break in the clouds myself this afternoon. Rather than Malta, the Scottish highlands, or the Netherlands, I'll be doing my observing from a cramped Islington bathroom through a handily placed top window. As my lightweight mount has yet to arrive from Germany (mini giro - thanks for the suggestion Michael), I will be using the Nexstar Evo mount and tripod, which have to be carefully installed over what I'll call the bathroom furniture - with me (6ft 5 and a half inches, bad back) somehow draped around the resulting architecture, with one foot in the bath. What adds to the drama is that the window only allows for about 30 minutes of viewing time before the sun disappears behind some foliage.

But it makes me appreciate every prom and filament all the more.

Always good to catch up with your reports. Hoping for the odd break in the clouds myself this afternoon. Rather than Malta, the Scottish highlands, or the Netherlands, I'll be doing my observing from a cramped Islington bathroom through a handily placed top window. As my lightweight mount has yet to arrive from Germany (mini giro - thanks for the suggestion Michael), I will be using the Nexstar Evo mount and tripod, which have to be carefully installed over what I'll call the bathroom furniture - with me (6ft 5 and a half inches, bad back) somehow draped around the resulting architecture, with one foot in the bath. What adds to the drama is that the window only allows for about 30 minutes of viewing time before the sun disappears behind some foliage.

But it makes me appreciate every prom and filament all the more.

Now THAT is dedication!

I have had clear skies most of the day today and the sun has been burning away, as said above there is no real excitement today but there are some lovely flickering flame shaped proms dotted about the limb. The surface detail is not bad though with lots of swirls and granulation about :laugh:

Archived