NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

help with picking first nebula filter.

Now that I have somewhat of a decent setup I'm fixing to buy my first nebula filter. From what I read Lumicon seems to be a favorite, but I'm on a budget and can't spent that right now. I've found a thousands oaks narrowband UHC and Oll 1.25 for around $80. I can't chose between the two for my first one. Which one would u recommend if you had to chose? Thanks!

Thousand Oaks filters have a good reputation. As you have a 10" scope I'd probably go for the O-III because it's impact is more significant than the UHC. I guess a 2" filter would be more "future proof" but that does push the cost up quite a bit.

I know the UHC is usually recommended as the 1st nebula-type filter purchase but I found an Astronomik O-III all the filter I needed for a good couple of years when I had a 10" scope. I prefer only to use a filter where it makes a really noticable difference and the O-III did that for me :smiley:

I would base my decision on what DSO's I was planning to target. In reality I'd plan on buying both when I had the $$$ to do so. But to give you good idea of what works best for what, here's an excellent article from a top filter expert:

http://www.prairieastronomyclub.org/resources/by-dave-knisely/filter-performance-comparisons-for-some-common-nebulae/

I concur with John regards his opinion of Thousand Oak's filters. They make a wonderful full-aperture filter for Solar viewing.

Enjoy!

Dave

Here are a couple of links to some opinions about the performance and benefits of some filters.

http://www.prairieastronomyclub.org/resources/by-dave-knisely/filter-performance-comparisons-for-some-common-nebulae/

http://www.prairieastronomyclub.org/resources/by-dave-knisely/useful-filters-for-viewing-deep-sky-objects/

Interesting reading and hope that it will provide you with the help you need.

I have actually seen those links before a while back, and its great information. Also,I speak to David Knisely (who wrote the links above) from time to time on another astronomy message board from the states. I didn't know he wrote those! He does have a wealth of knowledge in astronomy.

• 1 month later...

I wound up choosing the thousand oaks UHC. I got to use it for about an hour last night but hoping for a longer night tonight. I did see that planetary nebula did pop out. It was very hard to miss the blinking nebula. Hoping for more tonight.post-45947-0-48005700-1444695645.jpg

Archived